Edwin S. Moore (1813-1893) was an artist who specialized in topographical landscapes, often birds-eye views of various towns. Other of his works are San Rafael, Marin Co., CA. (ca. 1872); Santa Clara Court House (1876); Central Hotel, San Rafael, Marin Co.; Bird’s eye view of Coronado Beach, San Diego Bay and the city of San Diego (ca. 1880); San Jacinto, CA (1886); Bird’s-eye view of Alosta, Los Angeles Co. (1888); Bird’s-eye view of Redlands, San Bernardino Co. (1888); Grass Valley, Nevada Co. (1889); Bird’s-eye view of Berkeley, CA (1891)
I.O.G.T. Home for Orphans.
The Independent (later International) Order of Good Templars was the largest temperance group in the world. It founded the Home for Orphans in 1869 on twenty acres of land in Vallejo and this remained an orphanage for about forty-five years. The land later became a golf course.
IRMA School for Girls.
The school was opened in 1888. Reverend John M. Chase was its principal from 1888-1893. In an 1891-1892 school year survey, it was listed as having six female secondary instructors with 24 female students. Six students were preparing for college - two with classical courses and four with scientific courses.
St. Vincent Ferrer Church.
The first church was established in 1855 on Marin Street, between Virginia and Capitol but soon outgrew the site. Its present location was donated by General John B. Frisbie. The church and its school are bounded by the streets of Florida and Kentucky, Sacramento and Santa Clara. The location was a high point in the area being on top of the hill. The wooden building used as the church had been moved from the Marin site to the new location in 1868 and was then replaced with the present brick structure that still stands.
The International Order of Oddfellows was a fraternal and charitable organization established to aid those in need. Its hall was set up on the corner of Georgia and Marin. It was a two-story structure.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was located at 420 Virginia Street. The land was donated by General John B. Frisbie. The Virginia Street church was built of planks with a fence around it. The building was destroyed by fire in 1878 but a new one was built a year later. It remained in this location until 1919 when another site was located.
First Presbyterian Church.
It was established in 1862 at Marin and Carolina streets. The building remained until it was replaced with a new one at the same location in 1919.
The Ascension Episcopal Church at Sutter and Georgia was built in 1867 and stayed at that location until destroyed by fire in 1969. The congregation then moved to Tuolumne Street.
Union Pressed Brick and Terra Cotta. It had four terra cotta and two brick kilns with ample shed room. In 1896 it was idle and by 1915 had been abandoned for a number of years. The clay which was used came from the Vallejo vicinity and were commonly described as the best made on the west coast.
Residence of C.T.B. Hallin. Hallin was a prominent member of the Masonic Lodge and had a business in the Oddfellows building on Georgia St.
Residence of James Brownlie. James Brownlie was a prominent grocer in Vallejo. He was born in 1836 in Scotland but moved to California in 1858. After mining for a year, he worked at Mare Island as a carpenter and joiner until 1869 when he established his grocery business.
John Brownlie Hardware. John Brownlie (1833-1908) was born in Scotland but came to California via Panama in 1852. He became a county supervisor. In addition, he ran a hardware store located in the Oddfellows building on Marin St, had a livery stable, and was a real estate agent. His son, JamesW. Brownlie, became a prominent physician and president of the board of health.
Philadelphia Brewery. This brewery was established in South Vallejo in 1870 by F. Dininger. It could brew up to thirty-six barrels of beer at a time by the steam process. At its site, it contained a three story building with a basement. There was also a kiln and malt cellar. The proprietor originally from Bavaria came to California in 1856
Farragut Theatre. This was built by Mare Island’s Commandant David G. Farragut in 1869 as a hall. It was located on lower Georgia Street and had a capacity of 800 seats with a stage. It was one of the most commodious halls in the county and was often used for large meetings and gatherings.
Port Costa Lumberyard at Vallejo Junction. This wharf was near what was called Port Chicago (6 miles NE of Martinez). It was owned by the Port Costa Lumber Co. The lumberyard was established to serve the wholesale outlets in the Napa and Sonoma valleys. It was established with a long wharf to unload the deep sea-going sailing vessels directly and had 3000 feet of waterfront. It received pine boards from Puget Sound and redwood boards from Northern California. Port Costa Lumberyard shipped lumber to Southern California, Arizona and New Mexico and as far as New York.
USS Charleston. A protected cruiser launched in 1888 by the Union Iron Works in San Francisco. The Charleston cleared Mare Island on April 10, 1890 to join the Pacific Squadron as its flagship.
USS San Francisco. A protected cruiser launched in 1889 by the Union Iron Works in San Francisco. The San Francisco left to join the Pacific Squadron in March 1891 to become its flagship.
Amador. Built in 1869 for $150,000 as a sidewheel riverboat for the California Steam Navigation Co., it first journey was from San Francisco to Stockton. It moved cargo and passengers along the Sacramento River. It was rebuilt in 1878 as a ferry but was finally retired in 1904. It was then purchased from the Southern Pacific Company by the Boating Association of the University of California at Berkeley to be used as a floating clubhouse for its rowing crews. In 1915, the Amador was finally destroyed by being blown up at the Panama-Pacific Exposition as a demonstration of the harbor defense system.