The German Classics, Volume 4
- German Classics Book
- The German Classics: Masterpieces of German Literature Translated into English. Volume 4
- Jean Paul. Wilhelm von Humboldt. August Wilhelm Schlegel. Friedrich Schlegel. Novalis (Friedrich von Hardenberg). Friedrich Hölderlin. Ludwig Tieck. Heinrich von Kleist.
- Kuno Francke
- The German Publication Society
- Place of Printing:
- New York
- Date of Printing:
Author and Commentators
Jean Paul (1763-1825), born as Johann Paul Friedrich Richter. German Romantic writer.
Wilhelm von Humboldt (1767-1835). German philosopher and diplomat.
August Wilhelm Schlegel (1767-1845). German Romantic poet.
Friedrich Schlegel (1772-1829). German poet and philosopher.
Novalis (Friedrich von Hardenberg) (1772- 1801). German poet and philosopher.
Friedrich Holderlin (1770-1843). German Romantic poet.
Ludwig Tieck (1773-1853). German Romantic poet and novelist.
Heinrich von Kleist (1777-1811). German poet, novelist, and dramatist.
Kuno Francke (1855-1930). German-born educator and historian. He was a professor at Harvard.
Volume 4 contains works of Jean Paul; Wilhelm von Humboldt; August Wilhelm Schlegel; Friedrich Schlegel; Novalis (Friedrich von Hardenberg); Friedrich Holderlin; Ludwig Tieck; Heinrich von Kleist.
- The Life of Jean Paul. By Benjamin W. Wells.
- Quintus Fixlein's Wedding. Translated by Thomas Carlyle.
- Rome. Translated by C. T. Brooks.
- The Opening of the Will. Translated by Frances H. King.
- Schiller and the Process of His Intellectual Development. Translated by Frances H. King.
- The Early Romantic School. By James Taft Hatfield.
- Lectures on Dramatic Art. Translated by John Black.
- Introduction to Lucinda. By Calvin Thomas.
- Lucinda. Translated by Paul Bernard Thomas.
- Aphorisms. Translated by Louis H. Gray.
- The Story of Hyacinth and Roseblossom. Translated by Lillie Winter.
- Aphorisms. Translated by Frederic H. Hedge.
- Hymn to Night. Translated by Paul Bernard Thomas.
- Though None Thy Name Should Cherish. Translated by Charles Wharton Stork.
- To the Virgin. Translated by Charles Wharton Stork.
- Hyperion's Song of Fate. Translated by Charles Wharton Stork.
- Evening Phantasie. Translated by Charles Wharton Stork.
- Puss in Boots. Translated by Lillie Winter.
- Fair Eckbert. Translated by Paul Bernard Thomas.
- The Elves. Translated by Frederic H. Hedge.
- The Life of Heinrich von Kleist. By John S. Nollen.
- Michael Kohlhaas. Translated by Frances H. King.
- The Prince of Homburg. Translated by Hermann Hagedorn.