The Practice of Typography 1902
- The Practice of Typography; A Treatise on the Processes of Type-Making, the Point System, the Names, Sizes, Styles and Prices of Plain Printing Types
- Theodore Low De Vinne
- The Century Co.
- Place of Printing:
- New York
- Date of Printing:
Author and Commentators
Theodore Low De Vinne (1828-1914). American printer, publisher, and type historian. One of the founders of the Grolier Club.
2nd Edition. 403 pages. Illustrated. This book was based on a summary of notes collected by De Vinne starting in 1860. It covers the process of making printing type and discusses the historic types used over the centuries.
- Preface. Page 5.
- Chapter I. The Processes of Type-making. Page 9.
- Chapter II. The Names of eh Leading Sizes of Types. Page 53.
- Chapter III. The Point System. Page 123.
- Chapter IV. A Font of Type. Page 165.
- Chapter V. Faces or Styles of Type: Old Style Roman. Page 182.
- Chapter VI. Modern Faces of Roman Letter. Page 209.
- Chapter VII. Condensed Roman Types. Page 255.
- Chapter VIII. Italic Types. Page 269.
- Chapter IX. Fat-face or Title-types. Page 281.
- Chapter X. Black-letter. Page 291.
- Chapter XI. Gothic. Page 315.
- Chapter XII. Antique Types, Runic, Celtic, and Italian. Page 323.
- Chapter XIII. The Classes and Prices of Printing-types. Page 336.
- Chapter XIV. Large Types. Wood Types. The Pantograph.
- Benton’s Punch Cutting Machine. Page 345.
- Chapter XV. Recent Quaint Styles of Plain Type. Page 359.
- Index. Page 381.